Get up to date on Arsenal transfer news, injury updates, fixtures, not restricting reports on Arsenal Ladies and share your opinions on Goonerhead
Jamie Redknapp says he “feels sorry” for Arsenal’s fanbase following the Gunners’ 1-0 defeat to West Ham on Saturday.
Arsenal were edged out by their London rivals, with a well-taken effort by youngster Declan Rice enough to take all three points.
Unai Emery’s side are now six points off the top four, leading to suggestions that new signings need to be made during the January transfer window.
Arsenal’s transfer dealings under Unai Emery: Five key things to know…
- Arsenal have a diminished transfer budget to play with this month.
- Emery was handed over £70 million in the summer.
- Lucas Torreira arrived from Sampdoria for £27m in the summer.
- Goalkeeper Bernd Leno, centre-back Sokratis Papastathopoulos and midfielder Mattéo Guendouzi also arrived in the summer for a combined £44.1m.
- Emery says he cannot bring in any permanent signings during the January transfer window.
Arsenal enjoyed a decent run of form before Christmas but struggled over the festive period and their misfortune has carried into 2019.
The Gunners have only won one of their last four games in the Premier League and Redknapp feels their squad is not good enough to challenge for a top-four finish this season, and fears the investment needed to improve Emery’s squad will not be forthcoming.