The Premier League title has eluded Arsenal for over a decade and there’s hardly non of the EPL Trophy- drought seasons that passed without Arsene Wenger making up excuses for the team’s failure to conquer the title.
Time was when, we were told that there was inadequate funds to buy players as a result of the Emirates Stadium project. Thankfully, the Stadium was opened in 2006 and our transfer activities is unimpressive hitherto.
Since the open the Emirates Stadium, we have seen more notable player’s left than were signed. Nasri, Van Persie, Fabregas, Sagna, Clichy, and Henry have all left the club as they thought they could not win the title with Arsenal and rightly, their departures have been justified.
Although, we have seen quality players signed for Arsenal since then but Koscielny, Cazorla, Ozil, Sanchez and Cech are the only world class players we have signed in the last decade. You’d agree with me that the lack of transfer activities has cost us the trophy more than anything else in the world.
Speaking to the Press ahead of Arsenal’s Premier League opener, Arsene Wenger dismissed reports that he will sign a striker in this window.
“I am looking at no other areas apart from centre-back, it’s about quality,” he said.
This is alarming. It is same Wenger that claimed a few weeks ago that he will sign an attacker
“There are also a few players who did not play [on Thursday], like [Santi] Cazorla and of course [Mesut] Ozil and [Aaron] Ramsey are at home. [Olivier] Giroud is also not here. So we have options but we will still look outside to find one more.”
This statement has now rubbished all the reports concerning Riyad Mahrez move to Arsenal and other strikers.
Well, he knows best and we have to trust his decisions in the transfer market.